Removing paint from miniature

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
flagoon

Removing paint from miniature

Post by flagoon »

Hi, I have this strange problem. Until recently I was using breaking fluid to dissolve paint from the mini. It was working like a charm. 2 weeks in a jar, and paint was removed using only some water. But now I have huge problem with that. After keeping miniatures for about month in Dot3 (breaking fluid) it just removed some paint, but most of it is still on the mini. I was wondering how I can remove it now. The mini is frog made with metal from Dark Sword.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Re: Removing paint from miniature

Post by arctica »

Some of the strongest stuff i've seen is pure acetone, but i'm wondering if the varnish you had on it was thick and is protecting it too much. Also oxidation of brake fluid liquids can reduce the strength as it changes the properties slightly, so keep it sealed up to keep the stuff fresh.
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

This is the best thing to remove paint, it clears everything dosent harm resin. one note only it will turn greenstuff into rubber

If you buy, buy only the brown liquid all the others dont work
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Pandadosmares wrote:This is the best thing to remove paint, it clears everything dosent harm resin. one note only it will turn greenstuff into rubber

If you buy, buy only the brown liquid all the others dont work
Errr, where you can buy it? Got a link for a website that sells it? Might be interested to use it on my FW BLOODTHIRSTER GREATER DAEMON OF KHORNE
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

Simple green is the other alternative. Now dettol and simple green are perfect for plastic and resin models as they do not damage the plastics. However, acetone is super strong and will melt plastic models which is why i think if there is varnish on the model it'll be the one to get it off.

EDIT: sorry forgot to answer your question, you should be able to get them at any convenience stores or supermarket.
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

arctica wrote:Simple green is the other alternative. Now dettol and simple green are perfect for plastic and resin models as they do not damage the plastics. However, acetone is super strong and will melt plastic models which is why i think if there is varnish on the model it'll be the one to get it off.

EDIT: sorry forgot to answer your question, you should be able to get them at any convenience stores or supermarket.
breaking fluid is supposed to be stronger than acetone, though, what I learned is if the mini has been primed long time ago, the color has tainted the metal, and it'll be impossible to remove it.
The thing is that in france I've never seen dettol hehehe
flagoon

Post by flagoon »

Well, then I'm in very dark, deep and smelly place. I primed miniatures maybe 2 months ago, but I used airbrush and use 3 colors VMC Black, VAC Gray Primer and VAC White. This is 2nd miniature I primed that way and 2nd miniature that I have such a problem with removing paint. I didn't use any varnish and Dot3 was closed all the time (thou it was bought 1 year ago).

Too bad that was my wedding miniature I was going to paint better :cry:
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

Well, if you primed it with airbrush and two months ago, there shouldn't be any problem removing the prime layer. On metal miniature, I removed paint (prime and everything)on miniature I had based/painted months before. Though, I used acetone and toothbrush, never used the breaking fluid, it's too toxic imo
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

Hellspawn wrote:The thing is that in france I've never seen dettol hehehe
You can buy it from amazon
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

What is dettol? some kind of cleaning product? What is its original use?