matteness! come to me!

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
cat

matteness! come to me!

Post by cat »

Hello dear community! I am looking for a nice matte look on my minis, but I fail for some reasons:
- Primer doesn't give a matte undercoat, I don't know how much this affects the finish look
- Forumla p3 paints seem to have a slight satin finish, does anybody else feel this?

This is the 'mattest' result I can get http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/ ... frente.jpg
And I'm looking for something like this http://www.kaple.dk/images/marine/marine.jpg

Please ignore the evident skill difference :p and don't think it's just the picture quality; I have held in my hands miniatures that look way matter than mine.

Any suggestions of what to do?

Thanks!!
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Re: matteness! come to me!

Post by Skrit »

Testors Dullcoat does the trick for me everytime! :D
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

I have a matt varrnish that does the work perfectly for me, though, not sure it's available outside france.
Brand is Talens and reference number of the varnish is 115 (this is the important part cause there are several references in matt and this one is THE one)
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Have that one too and works good as well!
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

the 1 that Hellspawn mentioned is realy good end not so risky
ther are iven srongr 1 on market buth thats devils bargain - you get totaly mat effect but it also eats all colors end mid tones ,, so i wil not mentionether names to not tempt you :D
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

welcome! have fun here :D
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

Army painter matt varnish does the job
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

I quite liked Krylon matt varnish, but it takes long to dry.
It is not very flat, so it doesn't kill all your midtones, transitions and contrasts.

Testors/Model Master dullcote is very strong, but often TOO strong and it can ruin a good paintjob. Many people here will confirm that their paintjobs looked good until flat varnished. Varnish killed their contrasts, midtones and made miniatures look dull, boring and (nomen omen) flat.

Now we usually use airbrushed Vallejo matt varnish if we need to remove sheen from our miniatures.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
cat

Post by cat »

Hello everyone! So this case has ALSO been solved! And I learned a lot:

- The primer mattness is paramount, I found the mattest (and my favorite) to be the Citadel Spray ones (tried the Krylon, the Army Painter, the Testors, by hand, by airbrush etc).

- Waiting for the paint layers to be completely dry before applying a second layer : If you go over wet paint with a brush too many times, you will polish the paint and it will be glossy. Use a hairdryer!

- Be careful about wha you mix the paint with! a very good "mattness helper" is the Tamiya x20a thinner, and cleaning the water jar often, specially between metallics/non metallics is very important.

- And last but not least: the varnish! like Skrit said, the Testors DullCote is pretty good, and I tried applying the vallejo matt varnish with airbrush and seems to be more forgiving for the paint details, but not as chip resistant. For better photography results, take them BEFORE applying the varnish!

There! this is no way the absolute truth, but it has improved my painting experience a LOT, so I share it with the community. Keep on painting! take care

Cat
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

thanks for the heads-up!