basing tutorial #1: swamp base

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
Sarrazon

Re: basing tutorial #1: swamp base

Post by Sarrazon »

Woah, missed this the first time, it's great. Do you have any advice on scaling it down to gaming size bases, though? I've been planing on doing Space Sharks on swamp bases for a while now, and if I could manage this it'd be perfect for them.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

you mean 40mm or 25mm?
and most important: square or round?

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Sarrazon

Post by Sarrazon »

Round, both 25 and 40, as well as a couple 60s (40k bases). I was planing on using this set from Dragon Forge as a base to go for a kind of "Sunken Temple" look. So I suppose what I'm most looking for is help with the water effects.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

hmmm... I'd have to think about securing rims of bases properly - it would be pretty tricky task I'm afraid :|
if I get some free hobby time I can try to do it and if I get anything worthy sharing - I'll surely make a post :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Sarrazon

Post by Sarrazon »

Well, any help you can provide would be wonderful. It's not really urgent, as getting them painted is the first priority, but I would really appreciate it.
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

good to know - honestly I don't have much time for such experiments right now, not mentioning supply of quality resin :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
synthet

Post by synthet »

I have tried to do some water on gaming bases and I used the "transparent gel" from Vallejo, it´s thick so you can use a knife or spatel to apply it on the base. Maybe that would help on the bases you linked to. Not really need to seal the edges when using that stuff, just remember not to take to thick layers. I used that on my latest mini and I´m rather pleased with the result.

/Denniz