Instantmold

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
flagoon

Instantmold

Post by flagoon »

Have you seen this? It looks very promising :)
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools ... -mold.html
przemo

Re: Instantmold

Post by przemo »

interesting thing.

But I don't know how may I use it. Don't think that bits made with Instantmold are good quality. Mayby for coverting the whole army? But it would take too much time to make so many bits in such a way.
tkkultist

Post by tkkultist »

if they are one sided pressbmold parts they could be just fine.
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Actually the guy in the video makes a double sided mould too relatively easy. He does hold up what he makes but the quality of the vid doesn't let it show very clearly.

All in all it can be a very handy product so I am getting it to try it out one day. :)
Dargrin

Post by Dargrin »

I just bought it. I will give it a shot.
Barton

Post by Barton »

Dargrin wrote:I just bought it. I will give it a shot.
Please post your results and thoughts on it.
Barton Stano
GameMaster of Pulp RPG using Hero System
Rat Rancher (rat ranching had better be fun, it sure ain't profitable)
learning to paint and sculpt
Lombard, IL USA
Cyberpaddy66

Post by Cyberpaddy66 »

That's VERY cool, if I get a chance I'm going to order some and make my own easy to modify weapons :D
Getting back into the thick (or rather thin as in thinning my paints) of it, not picked up a brush in some time so this may hurt a bit until I get used to the feel of them again :doh:
kingofdaveness

Post by kingofdaveness »

Got some. Tried it. Not bad. Comes in handy for the studio.

Some tips. If your casting a thick thing using something like Greenstuff that has memory, it will pull away from the mould surface as it sets, making rounded details. I found making a harder mix procreate (more white to black) and greenstuff (more yellow to blue) gives less memory and press casts better. The trick of mixing in a little supersculpey or magic sculpt also helps. The thicker the putty layer, the more memory it has- so if your doing a thick object, press in a fine layer first- let that set, then bulk it out. Its not going to give you super crisp stuff, but this does help considerably. Milliput gives a crisper, if not messier casting.

Using a thicker amount of friendly plast.... sorry... of instant mould.. behind the casting surface makes it harder and less distorted when you cast. I found that setting the plastic by plunging it into iced water whilst applying pressure wasthe best way to pick up a good sharp surface.

Now if you think its a great way to pirate your favourite figures, forget it. You only get about 80 percent of the detail- depending on how good your casting skills are... you still have to go in with a fine tool and crispen the push moulded putty up a bit- refine eyes, nostrils etc. For a sculptor like me though, that gets you 80% of the way there, and that is great news. I have already started to use it to block in faces from one of my sculpts to another. I have even considered OVER crispening the original so the instant mould version comes out about right.

All in all, very happy with it as a tool. Not as crisp as a resin cast push mould, but a damn sight quicker, cheaper and easier. I consider it a must have.
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Thank you for the review.

A while ago I stumbled upon this article: http://inquisitorlordaki.blogspot.com/2 ... -mold.html concerning two part molds. The results are indeed quite disappointed (as expected).

I mentioned this in the CMON news thread already, but InstandMold is a repack of an existing product. One brand is called 'Oyumaru' and is basically the same thing. http://hikaria.com/2010/09/19/oyumaru-m ... al-review/

EDIT: here's another review http://www.wamp-forum.com/VB4/showthrea ... post119755