Files and filing

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
endrem

Files and filing

Post by endrem »

I've been struggling a long while with different needle files, none of them seemed good enough for every different use. I thought I start a discussion about this part of prepping, wondering what files and tools you guys use.

I've had loads of different needle files, from DIY stores, GW and Army Painter, but all of them had problems. Either too big even for a needle file, or too rough, badly produced with totally flat parts here and there, etc. I have a big bunch of those, most of them usable in a way, but it is no fun.

About a year and a half ago a friend of mine took me to an RC modeling exhibition where I found the best files I've so far seen. They were not cheap, but very good quality. It turned out they are a kind of high precision diamond and boron tools produced in Germany. I haven't found a place to buy them since then, apart from ordering directly from the company.

What kind of files and tools are you using for prepping your figures for base coating? How thorough you try to remove excess mold lines, what steps do you generally take? How much time so you invest into this?
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Re: Files and filing

Post by Nameless »

endrem wrote:How much time so you invest into this?
never enough :( I guess I'm too impatient and want to start painting before my motivation fades away...
I use files with different shapes, sanding paper, knife... try to find and remove every mould line... usually I fail ;)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Angora

Post by Angora »

I have a set of fine diamond needle files (I can't remember the manufacturer). They are very small and pointy and have the added benefit of having a random sandpaper like finish that leaves no file marks.
I sometimes also glue small pieces of 1,000 grit sandpaper to small skewers for fine work.
I also find a very sharp knife works well too.
endrem

Post by endrem »

Angora wrote:I sometimes also glue small pieces of 1,000 grit sandpaper to small skewers for fine work.
This is a good idea, gonna try it next time.
Knife I also use to remove bad mold lines or those at hard accessible places.

Here is the link to the files I use, if anyone interested: http://www.hesondiamant.de/PDF-rot/Hesonkatalog-rot.pdf.
Barton

Post by Barton »

I strongly recommend sandpaper, you can get 1200 grit, and finer, I have found 4000-12000 grit (super fine). It is great for very LIGHTLY removing material. I got the superfine sand paper from jewelery / bead supply catalog Fire Mountain.
Barton Stano
GameMaster of Pulp RPG using Hero System
Rat Rancher (rat ranching had better be fun, it sure ain't profitable)
learning to paint and sculpt
Lombard, IL USA