Lead ROT

What good is a nice miniature if you don't know how to show it?
Barton

Lead ROT

Post by Barton »

I purchased Star Frontiers miniatures (sealed in box from 1983!!). These LEAD minis are suffering LEAD ROT where lead carbonate forms on the surface of the mini. I have cleaned the minis by soaking in vineagar then rinsing then using a toothbrush. Any other suggestions/ideas on how to clean them????
Barton Stano
GameMaster of Pulp RPG using Hero System
Rat Rancher (rat ranching had better be fun, it sure ain't profitable)
learning to paint and sculpt
Lombard, IL USA
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Lead ROT

Post by mahon »

oh, I never had to do it. But I don't know what's going on under the primer of my older minis...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Skrit
Needs more explanation
Needs more explanation

Post by Skrit »

Never had it myself thankfully! I would like to see pics of how it looks actually.

Good luck with it! :)
Barton

Post by Barton »

Can and will post pictures.
It is like small black nodules on the mini. That is lead carbonate. Caused by lead reacting with CO2 and other chemicals.
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

I don't know if this would work. But you're using vinegar to clean the model which essentially is an acid, why don't you try soaking it in watered down coka cola instead? less effort and fairly thorough and strong stuff. Much like back in school days you'd use coke to clean pennies. Might be an idea but im not sure how that might affect the detail, anyway just a thought :)
Barton

Post by Barton »

Tried vinegar, actually this makes the problem worse sort of. It dissolves the lead carbonate a little but the mini must be vigoriously cleaned. Used much water and a toothbrush.
Will not try soda pop (cola), it contains a lot of CO2 in water with reacts with lead to produce lead carbonate.
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

I have some lead models ut have never seen them "rotting" - show us pics if possible :)
as for cleaning it - maybe you can use caustic soda? that's stuff used for cleaning pipes; it's damn dangerous stuff but it's great for cleaning paint from models

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Barton

Post by Barton »

Caustic soda, yep nasty stuff. I have not tried that yet, tried a drain cleaner (similar but not caustic soda).
Good idea maybe have to go to the nasty stuff. Caustic soda does dissolve lead carbonate. It is just dangerous stuff, can give nasty chemical burns. In college I had some minor chemical burns from a base solution, not pretty.
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

Barton wrote: In college I had some minor chemical burns from a base solution, not pretty.
welcome to the club :mrgreen:
:curtain: there is special thread about injuries suffered while doing hobby stuff btw

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Barton

Post by Barton »

My camera will not take good photos, so no photos of the lead rot. Best way to describe it is that look like black balls on top of the mini, like some sort of infection.

But, good news.
Dremel tool with soft white metal polishing brush. Cleaned the lead rot up very well. The brass cleaning/polishing wheel works also but removes a lot of material.
Now I will do some testing. I will prepare a dilute mixture of apoxie sculpt with water and brush it on the mini. This not only will fill cracks but may with luck seal the mini from the CO2 in the air and reduce the problem. I will see.
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA