Once in a while I manage to "finish" a model

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
ruanae

Once in a while I manage to "finish" a model

Post by ruanae »

Hello to all,

I thought a good start on here would be to post some pictures of models I consider finished, and get some (hopefully not too harsh :)) feedback on them.
To begin with I have two models that I consider finished, both High Elves.

Apologies in advance if the photos aren't great, they were taken using the camera on my phone, but hopefully they are good enough to give people an idea of my standard of painting (or lack thereof)

First is a High Elf Mage (from the GW Island of Blood Boxed Set)
Front View

Kind of a Profile

The other model is also a High Elf Mage, this time on a Dragon. I'm kind of please with how the dragon looks, and I think the mage doesn't look to bad
Side view

Face on

Side view - the other side

Okay, thats what I have (currently). Feedback would be welcome, as its the only way I can improve. I do know that I have issues with eyes/faces and that the bases are rather basic (not something I've really done).

I will try and get some better shots, and add a few more "finished" models onto this thread when I get a chance. I'll also put up some WIP stuff when I get the chance, again feedback on that would be very welcome.

Many Thanks all :)
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Re: Once in a while I manage to "finish" a model

Post by Hellspawn »

I like the green scheme, nice, changes from the usual blue ones. As for the painting, well, I'd say that it's a nice tabletop level, colors are applied properly without color leaks. Metals would require are least a wash and some hightlights after the wash to look a little more finished, but that might be the photos aswell.

Bases would look better if borders where either in full black or same color as sand to have cohesion, but I presume that cause they're not completely done yet :)

You might want to add perhaps a wash on the greens to increase shadows, and perhaps a few hightlights here and there, but all in all, as I said, it's a nice tabletop level.

Group photo will be nice when you're done.

Don't forget that we also have a topic called "Taler of Gamers" where peeps can show progress on their armies :)
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

Yeah, as it turns out I got the High Elves from two Island of Blood sets, so I've been trying to do one lot with a blue theme and the other with a green theme. The dragon was an extra but I thought the red and green would make for a good contrast.

Nice tabletop level is a good start, gives me something to build from (slowly).

I did wash (and highlight) the gold, or least I think I did, are there any particular areas that I should focus on again? And yes, I think I will do the edges on the bases tonight as that would be a "quick win" (sorry been talking with project managers a lot and its influenced my vocabulary)

Thank you for the feedback, its all good and helps me get better :)
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

ruanae wrote:I did wash (and highlight) the gold, or least I think I did, are there any particular areas that I should focus on again?
Well, then you should check Sea.man's Taler of Gamers thread about the painting of the metallics on his Immortals from Hell Dorado. That might gives you some hints :)
You don't need to do the step about the patine, but at least for the gold you'll see, cause right now, they look flat :(
ruanae wrote:And yes, I think I will do the edges on the bases tonight as that would be a "quick win" (sorry been talking with project managers a lot and its influenced my vocabulary)

I am a project manager, so I do kwow what "quick win" means :D
ruanae wrote:Thank you for the feedback, its all good and helps me get better :)
You're welcome :)
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

Okay some more "finished" models. Again I guess these would count as a decent tabletop standard, what I need to figure out is what to work on/improve to move up to the next "level" as it were.

These are Ellyrian Reavers, again from the Island of Blood boxed set (noticing a pattern?) They are done in two groups, one with a green theme the other with a blue theme. In terms of timescale, these were done before the mage models, and took a couple of months (I'm not exactly a fast painter, and I was working on an MSc at the same time, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Firstly "head on" greens

And "head on" blues

Side on Blues

Side on Greens

And some more close up "detail" shots
For the Blues

And the Greens

Again feedback is welcome, and I will try and post some WIP stuff when I get the chance

Thanks
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Hussar elves! cool 8)
I like that you keep your army painting scheme coherent. It is a pity, you painted them blue, all green would look nicer in my opinion :)
I think you need to work on control of the paint. Do you dilute the paint before putting it on the miniature?
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

Thanks.

I ended up with two of each model from the Island of Blood boxed set which is why I have done half blue and half green for some variation. I might do any other models for army in the green colour scheme.
I do thin the paint a bit (more so now then when I painted those elves) but probably need to do so a bit more and build up the layers. The problem i was having was the paint didn't appear to have coverage. I guess the answer to that is to be patient and do more layers?
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Yes.

But you must know that there is no perfect ratio or formula. This is the question how fast do you want to paint. Faster means less layers, so less diluted paint you have to use.
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
ruanae

Post by ruanae »

So the stars were aligned correctly (and with a free weekend) and I managed to "finish" some models (note the plural :))

So I spent the weekend working on the Dark Eldar reaver jetbikes I mentioned in my WIP thread and they are now at the point where I consider them "finished" (until I spot something I've missed or get feedback on where to improve :))

Some pics of the models:

(Full set can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruanae/set ... 791271137/ )

I guess (hope) that these would be considered a decent "tabletop" level, I really do want to improve from there at somepoint, but right now I think aiming to hit a good tabletop level consistenly and lots of practise is the way to go.

All thoughts and feedback is welcome as usual.

(Also considering starting a Tale of Gamers thread for these dark eldar (as I have more to do) but they are already "started" in most cases, is that still okay?))

Thanks all :D
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

ToG is an ongoing project, you can jump in any time you want.
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================