I like paint... it tastes funny.

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Re: Vampire Count Necromacer - need opinions.

Post by Maru »

skin - demands more colors :) - thats nurgl - end decay is not only pudding grey well is actualy quite coorfull end smelly .. (good part is that we dont paint with smell)
green - meybe add a bit yellow to achive a typical "nurglish" hue of green ?
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
marcineczek0
(Forum newbie)

Post by marcineczek0 »

Hey Guys... it's been a while since my last post. Not much changed in mini painting life. I was forced to work on my terrains (and earn some money on eBay) so I had no time to paint just for painting sake. lol

About two months ago I picked up my brishes again and started working on my entries for Crystal Brush 2012... no chance in hell that I will win but I want to try and push myself. Obviously I can't show you my finished minis for CB but I wanted some opinion on my other stuff I'm working right now.

So... I'm still working on that Nurgle guy. I added some "life" to the wounds but the "pudding" skin still needs some work. I will try to work on the armor too...

I also did some work on this "Marauder Champion" from Avatars of War.

And just started on Male Warrior from Dark Sword Minis (The cape is just fantastic...)

So let me know what you think...
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

First- good luck at CB, the most important thing is that uou will be there taking part in it! You can watch other entries, talk to painters how did they make them, exchange experience :)

Nurgle guy - it's hard to judge what is finshed and what is still WIP. For sure you need to work on brown parts (leather and wood). Skin is ok, I can only advise to make stronge contrast by darking the shades more. You did start very good by giving it pure color nuances.
Armour... well you did the photo under strong light, so I can't really tell if you painted thoses shades :) is the shade on his right leg, the one under the axe, so dark because it is painted that way? Or is it just the shade from the axe, making the light from the bulb didn't come there? If it is painted that way, then I like it :) if not- now your photos are a good reference how to paint the armour (where the light falls).

Maruder champion - the armour is turning nice, very dark which suits it well. Hair seems to be only basecoated now and skin stills need more work - maybe give it aslo some color nuances like you did it with Nurgle guy?

Warrior - He looks like female from the back :D
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
marcineczek0
(Forum newbie)

Post by marcineczek0 »

Thanks for fast response... Looking at the posts I was wondering why this forum is so quiet lately.

Ok so... The Nurgle guys is WIP since couple of months. It can all be changed and worked on I never said I won't improve something that needs it. The leg is in the shadow (not painted) I will make better photos tomorrow.
Like I've said he needs more work

The Marauder... The hair, I think I will wash them (darker) than add some highlights. But basicaly this is the color that I'm aiming for.
The skin, Highlight with almost white and add maybe add some blue (he will be in the winter scenery so he's cold but doesn't show it... He's a Marauder for Christ sake!!!)

The Male Warrior (he's not a sissy...) I worked on the inside of the cape and the fabric on his pants and arms. I hope it shows but might have make the shadows darker.

bigger photo??? I hope so...

I will try to make better photos tomorrow...
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

Sure I understand it is a WIP, but I think that you are gonig in right direction!

As for the Maruder, good idea to make the skin more cold looking by adding blue :)

I didn't say he is a sissy :P I don't know that miniature and I didn't see any other photo apart from the one you posted. That is why I was amased it is a man. Thanks for the photo from the front, now I fully agree - he is a man ;) The cloak needs more shade, just like you did it on the white/cream trousers -very nice!
miniatures painted:
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

I like the blue on the cloak. As for other minis, Sea.man already said everything :)
marcineczek0
(Forum newbie)

Post by marcineczek0 »

The Male Warrior is from Dark Sword miniatures... unfortunatelly I only found two painted versions of this mini (as always I find a mini no one likes to paint and give me some ideas how to paint it). Bought those minis were painted to a very high standard that I'm not even trying to imitate (crap at nmm). So I tried to paint it in metalics... i still don't know how to do it properly.
So here it is... so far very butchered and on photos I can see a lot more mistakes that need fixing.

I've also made the shadows on the cape darker (not sure if you can see it though.
By the way do you guys know any good tutorial on metalics???
marcineczek0
(Forum newbie)

Post by marcineczek0 »

I've worked on the metals a little more. Thin Burnt Umber Oil wash and I quiet like it... i might reaply some highlighs though.

Let me know what you think...
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

o helo :)
yup 2 of them .. "for beginer" (not exacly but you actualy will find them realy heplful :)
http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/ ... metal.html
http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainter ... .php?t=878

about blue cape - increse contrast in inner side - (more shadows end stronger )

be warned - it is realy easy to ruin your own work like slighy thin of brown hue will make whole blue you got ther in to dirty yellow color

end about Nurgle dud .. wel - incirese contrast on armor plated ...
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

gets better and better :) as Maru said - increase the contrast on the cape
miniatures painted: