i want to become a better painter

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: i want to become a better painter

Post by mahon »

Little Jimbo wrote:all that painters from CMON have monkeys as there avatar ?
not true. massive voodoo members because of the theme of their site/group, plus some random ones for their own reasons. most painters don't.
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

mahon wrote:
Little Jimbo wrote:all that painters from CMON have monkeys as there avatar ?
not true. massive voodoo members because of the theme of their site/group, plus some random ones for their own reasons. most painters don't.
forgot a word or two, was only referring to the one you linked. and it looks like it was not a coincidence :-). but now that I got my answer left get back on topic :-) sorry for hijacking the thread.

Regards
Daniel
kylaxi
(Forum newbie)

Post by kylaxi »

Thuesday a friend found some pices in my bitbox and said this is a special char... since i never painted an ultramarine before i figured it would be a nice test mini.
I found a pic of it on the internet and sort of used that color scheme.
So no color clown this time.
I also now know what i want to learn, i want to learn where i need to blend and highlight and how much.
Most of the time my highlights were too weak.
My focus on this miniature was the blue armor, i am not very happy with the brown/yellow.

I need some advise on the highlights of the blue please. Oh only one arm is sort of finisched the other is not glued on yet and only got a basecoat and the first highlights.
ImageClick to see full-sized image
Hellspawn
Newsman
Newsman

Post by Hellspawn »

The left fist (the one that is in the air) is nice, really.
Rest is good aswell.
About the highlights/shadows, the easiest way is to put the mini under the light with the light comming from the top of it. Everywhere you see the light falling needs to be highlighted and everywhere you can't see the light is shadow. I know it's pretty obvious and that on painting it's a little harder than that but basically this is the way to check :)
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

I like the highlight on his left arm, the one at the right side of the picture.
I looks like you are diving right in to NMM, is that intentional?
but for the gold i think if you start with a more brown base color it might turn out better, as gold is not yellow but more a brownish/orange color. OFC gold change color dependent on the light that shins on it.
see these examples:

As for the Leather try to go for a darker base color and the highlight with snakebite leather instead of using it as a base color. I did the same when i started painting but i really works better if you use Scorched brown as a base.

As for the skin tone you done need yellow but more "red/orange" color,i paint with Vallejo colors and for human male model i think i will use a combination of:

Shadow color: 72.066 Tan (you properly need to mix a bit of the base color is to the shadow )
base color: 72.099 cadimium skin
highlight: 72.003 pale skin

I think that all the tips I can provide at the moment, i hope you can use them.

Regards
Daniel
kylaxi
(Forum newbie)

Post by kylaxi »

I did not use snakebite, i used the yellow foumdation and used a valejo skin inkt for the gold and for the leather.
And yes the nmm is sort of an accident but so far my best attempt.
The face only got a basecoat so far i will check if i have the colors you mentioned and use those.
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

-_-' second try to answer (afret computed decide to reset itself just like that ... h8 x mass :roll: )
I need some advise on the highlights of the blue please.
best 1 would be zenital 1 but not at this stage :)
so just crate edge hihlights like you strat alrdy - thats mean evry edge thats stands out
- this combine with dark linking that go to separate parts from echother - like red part from blue , yellow from blue , end so on , including difrent armor parts

yu gotther a vid on color whell - so you will know how to create highlight color not just by adding white to color (as this create washed out milky colors )
I also now know what i want to learn, i want to learn where i need to blend and highlight and how much.
ther is no limit how bright highlight shoulkd be - it all depend on context in strong light eny color will reflect in near white end actual bliks will be white when in shadows all things will be muted end transicions will be softer end on much colder thones

esay way is to put minature under lamp in a way it will be standing on base end look wher light highligt it naturaly - or iven took photo of it (without flash :P)

other is Zenital basecoating (we should got article about it )
or iven zenital white spraing after gbase colors are aplayed on mini (hym ther is videa on YT aboutthis tech )

The W/B exorcize is about wher go hihlights end how strong end wher shadows ^-^
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
kylaxi
(Forum newbie)

Post by kylaxi »

Ok i changed the color of the right shoulder to red. The brown/gold was jsut bad.
I think it is allmost finished now.
Little Jimbo

Post by Little Jimbo »

I like it the armor looks great.
i still have some issues with the leather but i guess that what you mean bu almost finish ;-)

Regards
Daniel
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

how about highlightning edges along fingers not only ones on stright ?
cloak is same color as armor .. end i think i c ther a mold lines :roll:
you mey mask thous by "battle demage" on material

end base is atm far away from the mii lvl - it is Dude in blue armor end pole stiking from his back on suny beach
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/