Kirisute's WIP

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
kirisute

Kirisute's WIP

Post by kirisute »

Had to start somewhere so here it's is:
Just starting work on Scale 75 Brock.
Very clean casting, and fitting is pretty decent.
Used Unibond Repair Express power putty to fill joints, I find its good value for money and very quick drying. Prefer it to milli put in fact! And comes in 6 handy mini packs, which I then cut into even smaller pieces. One mini pack has lasted my previous 4 models!
Anyway.....
Just started laying on undercoat with an acrylic grey primer.
ImageClick to see full-sized image
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Re: Kirisute's WIP

Post by Demi_morgana »

Waiting for more bit advanced wip shots then :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
kirisute

Post by kirisute »

I'll have something more posted later I would guess...starting with the upper torso skin I reckon

See?
Base colour and dry brushing then first wash of shadow. I'll be layering up to highlights and then deepening shadow tones across the figure to give a bit more contrast. I find the grey primer adds nice grey/blue to the skin tones in areas where the base layer was a bit thinner...gives a good range of tones instead of one flat base layer
kirisute

Post by kirisute »

2nd level of dry brushing using base layer then lighter tone to start working on zenith all lighting of upper torso
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

I love drybrushing... for gaming pieces though. Are you sure you want to use that technique for a showcase piece?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
kirisute

Post by kirisute »

I'm nowhere near good enough at other techniques to do them justice! For me I can tweak the techniques enough to produce something I'm proud of.....I'll get better with practice.....
I tend to dry brush then wash, then dry brush then wash then add shadows etc so even though its dry brushing its not just that technique on its own...
Anyway here's the next stage:
Shading and lightning done on main torso and now adding some woad.
Also test painting an armour section to see how best to do it....
Camera shows up the roughness of the dry brushing far more than the naked eye...but to be honest I like that roughness on the skin....if its too smooth it just doesn't sit right for me.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

kirisute wrote: I tend to dry brush then wash, then dry brush then wash then add shadows etc so even though its dry brushing its not just that technique on its own...
you will still end up with a pretty rough finish. of course, if you like it - go for it. Painting is all about having fun :)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
kirisute

Post by kirisute »

true enough;
im way out of the league of displaying any of my stuff!
happily plodding along learning bits and bobs and getting slightly better with each model I paint; 'tis the only way!
:)
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

When you consider fleshtone done hit it with several glazes of "fleshy" tone to make the surface smoother :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!
Dakan

Post by Dakan »

Drybrush technique will always be doing that rough effect. Try to do layering, with much diluted colour in many layers instead of drybrush. It's easy too and looks better. You can help with wash to associate that layers more together. I am still learning too, practice it is the best way 8) Keep painting... the tattoo looks good. I am looking forward to the next WIP ;)