Building the dream painting desk

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Building the dream painting desk

Post by mahon »

Even though I am envious, I am happy to hear you're getting such a great studio for your hobby! :clap:
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Neatpete

Post by Neatpete »

One thing I've added to my station that I absolutely love is a tool magnet strip. Basically a big long magnet that mounts to a wall and holds everything from pliers, nippers, files, pins, skulting tools, big brushes, scissors, etc. Granted my stuff gets spread out during projects but its nice to have a spot to get things out of the way when I clean up.
Something like this:

ImageClick to see full-sized image
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

we also have something similar. doesn't hold heavier tools well, but is good enough for sculpting tools, files, scissors, etc.
-- Mahoń

Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

I just bought a rotating dish for the paints and its awsome and cheap.

Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

I guess I'll need three of those to put all my paints on, this will take up too much space so I'm sticking to the paintier I guess :)
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

thats a big dish it can hold 3 regular dishes
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

ours is like 30cm in diameter but we don't use it for paints...
-- Mahoń

Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

another idea: what about a separate assembly/basing area and a dedicated painting area?

The idea behind this is to concentrate all boxes and blisters with unpainted figures, tools (dremel, files, knives, pliers, glues), bits, and basing materials in one area and to have more space for paints, brushes and WIP stuff in another place. Another advantage is that the painting area will be cleaner.
Midnight Lurker

Post by Midnight Lurker »

Corvus wrote:Another advantage is that the painting area will be cleaner.
Workspace cleanliness is over rated. :hand: From chaos springs creativity!

This is what my space looks like. It's really efficient for me.

All my paints are in two plastic briefcase thingys. I put dots and smears of the colors on their tops. I can usually find the color I'm looking for pretty quickly. Between the two cases I have over 300 colors.

My dremel is on my right, hairdryer hangs on the left, plenty of room on the table top for lights, pallete, brushes, and assorted paints currently in use. To my left in the drawers I keep all my basing supplies and odds and ends like rarely used inks, spray primers and the like. In the cubby holes I have an electric paint shaker, a little milliput oven, notebooks and additional cases that hold my smaller hand tools brass rods sculpting stuff etc. I just grab the case I need, open it on my lap and slide it back into place. It's not as awkward as you might think.

On the other side of the room is my photo tent, a book case with reference art books and big plastic tubs of unpainted pewter...

Jen
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

Midnight Lurker wrote:From chaos springs creativity!
Well not for me at least :) But what I do agree with are the inspirational things on the walls, I'm a fan of those too.
But the painting area itself is quite clean, don't you think?

When I start working on a new project, I really like cleaning up my entire desk in advance. It feels like clearing my mind for something new, like starting to draw on a blank piece of paper.

Anyway thank you very much for showing me your workplace! I think the setup with the table and the cupboards on the side is very useful!

This is what my desk looked like when I installed my new "paint bottle stadium". Of course when I am painting there's more junk littered on the desk... I also have a picture of the entire setup right before I started packing everything in boxes. It's on my external hard drive somewhere, but that one is still packed away in a box.