Build me a pirate ship, yar!

You need inspiration, ideas? Not a WIP yet but still in a concept stage? Come here!
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Build me a pirate ship, yar!

Post by Corvus »

Shiver me timbers, Corvus sets out to the high seas!

That's right, I'm currently in the planning phase of my next project: a unit of Black Scorpion undead pirates.

Because it's a unit, I want to put them on a small display base (probably a wooden photo frame). The idea is to create a surface which should resemble the deck of a pirate ship.

This will mainly consist of wooden planks made out of strips of balsa wood. Then some detailing should be added, I was thinking about

- a pile of cannon balls: I can easily sculpt these with green stuff
- rope: I'm going to try to make this by twisting two strands of green stuff together
- barrels: I have some resin barrels, maybe I can drill out one and fill it with cannon balls or rope
- a treasure map
- a grating, maybe along one of the corners of the showbase

What else can I add?

I also have two metal cannons by Black Cat Bases, but these are terribly cast and lack detail, so I'm not sure whether I will use them. I think this is a picture of a painted one:
ImageClick to see full-sized image

What do you think?

What's important is that it are easy details, which don't require too much sculpting skills. I also don't want to recreate a portion of a ship, just a piece of deck with some simple details to set the scene.

This is over the top, but a good source for inspiration:
ImageClick to see full-sized image

Last but not least: any tips for creating a wooden floor/deck with balsa?

Thanks!
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Build me a pirate ship, yar!

Post by mahon »

yep, cut the balsa in stripes or simply press/carve lines in it. I believe that making the deck from separate parts would make it look more realistic.
the example you showed is impressive but would take much time to match the quality...buy don't you have time for this?

I wouldn't sculpt cannon balls - use ready small metal balls, like the ones from a ball bearing.

rope - why don't you use thin rope like what they use to secure parcels. dip it in glue, form it, and wait for it to dry...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Midnight Lurker

Post by Midnight Lurker »

Don't try to make your rope with Green Stuff, that's just begging for problems! If you need something rigid make it with wire twisted with a Dremel. (Done correctly this makes tight even coiled rope and is super fast! Fold a section of wire in half. Firmly anchor the folded end and insert the loose ends into Dremel. Tighten it down, pull back on the wire a little bit so everything gets taught and carefully turn on dremel...) But by far the simplest solution would be using some heavy upholstery thread or fine twine. Some of them have great twisted texture.

How about a scrub bucket and a brush or mop for swabbing the deck? Dip cheese cloth in glue and drape it around- that stuff looks like like fishing net. Maybe some strands of seaweed or a crab? A bottle of rum?

Hey... just 'cause they're undead doesn't mean they can't party down! :lol:

Jen
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

Midnight Lurker wrote:If you need something rigid make it with wire twisted with a Dremel. (Done correctly this makes tight even coiled rope and is super fast!
never thought of such use for a Dremel...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Corvus
Guardian of Law & Order
Guardian of Law & Order

Post by Corvus »

When I was packing stuff before I moved, I stumbled upon an old computer power supply. I decided to cut off the cables and trash the rest. Those small copper wires will do fine for a rope I guess, if I can twist them properly.
Midnight Lurker

Post by Midnight Lurker »

Excellent! :D

One of the keys to smooth twist is gentle tension. Make sure your two strands are evenly taut before you turn on the dremel. If you run into trouble and the fine wires slip out of the dremel chuck, put a tiny bit of duct tape on the ends for better grip.

Jen
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

I'd say that Dremel tool would be overkill for this job ;) can't you twist thin wires with your own hands Corvus?

steering wheel was always the heart and soul of any ship to me, I'd definitely add this to your dio :)
some inspiration for you: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/razig
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Sarrazon

Post by Sarrazon »

Go into your local hobby store and check out the section with model ships. I don't know about your store, but mine has a section of loose parts for this purpose - miniature ropes and chains being the most notable.