Scott Radom's WIP

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
ScottRadom

Scott Radom's WIP

Post by ScottRadom »

Tried to do some battle damage on the shield for this dude and it looks like ass. Any thoughts appreciated. It's going on a larger scenic style base. Kind of rocky step with a bit of a fried looking tree stump beside it thingy. Can I save the damage on the shield? Should I lose it entirely? Anything else? Also in hind sight I should take some pics at a better angle. This are kid of form the bottom (Two of them anyway) and that's not great. TY gang!
ImageClick to see full-sized image
Cyberpaddy66

Re: Scott Radom's WIP

Post by Cyberpaddy66 »

Don't know if this'll help you any but here's a texture of a damaged shield...

It might look better if the cut bits had a little wodden surface under them, either that or make them thinner so they look more like slashes and not gouges.
Getting back into the thick (or rather thin as in thinning my paints) of it, not picked up a brush in some time so this may hurt a bit until I get used to the feel of them again :doh:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

brown lines are cuts, white lines are highlights at the edge of cuts. there was nice drawing explaining this, made by Mahon. Not sure where exactly it is posted on the forum.
if those lines are of equal thickness, it makes weathering look unnatural.

compare diagonal cut (top left) with oval-shaped one (bottom right). see the difference?

that's the main issue I see here, but I'm not an expert in weathering, so probably someone will add more useful pieces of information :)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
tremanor

Post by tremanor »

Alright Scott! Lookign great man!
ScottRadom

Post by ScottRadom »

I expereimented a little more on it, and I just can't make it look the way I want. I'll try again on a different mini, but I started the whole shield from fresh again. Thanks for that pic Cyberpaddy! That's a good one. TY Gang!
Dargrin

Post by Dargrin »

Cuts are a bit thick too. If you want big cuts I would follow what nameless said.
Last edited by Dargrin on 10 Sep 2010, o 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

I think the main problem with the battle damage you have put on the shield is that the 'cuts' are too big. The white lines under the black need to be a lot finer.

Also, it's best you use a bit of brown to give depth to the painted cut, otherwise it just looks like a black stripe painted across the shield's surface.

Try starting out with a couple of small scratches along the edge of the shield, once you are happy with those you can try some bigger chips and then move on to the large straight cuts (imho those are the hardest to get right).