'Proper' Smooth Basing.

How to convert or sculpt a miniature? How to make a decent base or even a full diorama?!
NAVARRO
Mr. Bug-Man

Post by NAVARRO »

Some undertand faster than others and others are clueless :lol:
Trovarion

Post by Trovarion »

ImageClick to see full-sized image

craft or art btw? j/k :mrgreen:
NAVARRO
Mr. Bug-Man

Post by NAVARRO »

dunno but maybe just a slap. :lol:
marovingean

Post by marovingean »

Man, i love the 'nature versus nurture' argument, and don't even care my thread has been pirated! for all you purists i tried the terracotta milliput and it seemed to work fine.

I think that this argument really goes down further to whether we actually have innate 'talents' (Epistomological Philosophy isn't something for a monday night...), or pre-dispositions towards a certain subject, or whether your brain is wired to be amazing at something (possibly all 3 are the same). however I do believe that it does take practise. Something i enjoy doing is going on 'Eavy Metal/Golden Demon winners cmon galleries and going back to their earlier stuff, and seeing the progression. It really is remarkable how the change develops. A good example is 'Eavy metals own Joe Tomascewski (sp?), better known as UKGD Open winner '08. (LINK). You go back to some of his earlier stuff and the (dare i say it) mediocraty is evident. It's good, and you can see he has talent, but it has yet to emerge properly, and then you move to his latest (and excellent) Marneus Calgar and you can see how being in 'Eavy Metal (and therefore around some of the most disciplined/talented painters on the planet) has improved him. He even admits it himself. Check out his post on his calgar (17th sept 08) (on link) and he says to daz about how much it has improved him.
I would therefore like to conclude that (rather boringly) while you may be born with a pre-disposition (i dislike the word talent, thrown around too much these days) towards a certain subject, it still takes skill, dedication, determination, time, effort and 'Eavy metal (:P) to get to a great standard.

Just my two really.

M