Few questions about primers

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
flagoon

Few questions about primers

Post by flagoon »

Hi, few days ago I bought GW Skull White primer. Today I was priming my minis (first time ever :)). Well the result is not that bad but I would like to know two things:
1. how many figures you can prime with one can of this primer? Today I primed 7 figures and it looks like I don't have more than half can.
2. If I can prime in example 20 figures with one can, then it's quite costy. I would like to know what do you think about priming with airbrush and acrylics colors. Some people suggested Vallejo Air Color Grey Primer. I think it will last more than one spray can, but what about other features of primer (will paint stick to the figure?) I'm not playing with figures I paint, so no much risk to destroy them.
Barton

Re: Few questions about primers

Post by Barton »

I use vallejo model white and med. gray acrylic paint as primers. Works well for me.
How thick are you coating the primer? I use a thin coat so the paint lasts a long time.
Last edited by Barton on 16 Jan 2010, o 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Barton Stano
GameMaster of Pulp RPG using Hero System
Rat Rancher (rat ranching had better be fun, it sure ain't profitable)
learning to paint and sculpt
Lombard, IL USA
flagoon

Post by flagoon »

Are you using airbrush as well? Do you use thiner for this? As for coat it's not thick, if that is what you are asking for. I was very careful no to overload the details and I think I quite succeed in this. Only thing that worries me is how much paint I lost.
Barton

Post by Barton »

flagoon wrote:Are you using airbrush as well? Do you use thiner for this? As for coat it's not thick, if that is what you are asking for. I was very careful no to overload the details and I think I quite succeed in this. Only thing that worries me is how much paint I lost.
I do NOT use a airbrush, I use a regular paint brush. I dilute the paint with water (about 1:1).
Are you using primer/paint designed for airbrushes?
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA
flagoon

Post by flagoon »

Barton wrote:
flagoon wrote:Are you using airbrush as well? Do you use thiner for this? As for coat it's not thick, if that is what you are asking for. I was very careful no to overload the details and I think I quite succeed in this. Only thing that worries me is how much paint I lost.
I do NOT use a airbrush, I use a regular paint brush. I dilute the paint with water (about 1:1).
Are you using primer/paint designed for airbrushes?
My first minis were primed by my friend who has a airbrush, but he was using oil paints. Unfortunately he said he cannot prime with white and that's why I was using GW primer. As far as I search the web people are using Vallejo Air Color but I didn't find anyone who would prime with Model Color with brush :) Anyway if it's good with normal brush then using VMC and airbrush should be usable as well (and cheaper that GW can primers).

EDIT:
Here is the nice tutorial about getting started with airbrush. The painter is starting new set of tutorials about painting minis with airbrush.
Youtube
Barton

Post by Barton »

Very few people brush on primer, I just prefer doing it that way. I think using Vallejo Air Color should work well, but I can not advise you on dilution of the primer or sprayer PSI settings.
Barton Stano
Lombard, IL USA