P3 paints 'review'

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
Angel_of_Menoth

Post by Angel_of_Menoth »

We already have a tons of empty dropper bottles. I thought about switching mine to them, but I decided I'd rather use them for other things (washes, special recipes, original flip-top GW bottle that have become too brittle, etc.). She does hate non-dropper bottle, though. I don't mind them as much. (I could probably earn lots of brownie-points by getting her a dropper bottle full of Heart Fire next month.)

Love my new hat. :D
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

Post by LadyEyes »

Yes, i could transfer them all to dropper bottles, especially since DeadMilkman found a great source for dropper bottles. However, it's not just that. I think it's a little silly for several people to tell me to use one line of paint only, especially when they are people who don't know much about how I paint.

(Sort of reminds me of the "helpful" males that try to pick out stuff for me when I wander into a gaming store alone.)
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
Angel_of_Menoth

I only helped take your craft paints away. No steering/pressuring for new ones. Chris should have your new RMS stuff in later this week if he remembered to order them today.
pae

Post by pae »

While I primarily use Reaper MSPs, I don't recommend to anyone staying with a single paint line. Each line has its own merits, and each painter wants their paint to do different things.

I like having everything in dropper bottles because it's easier to replicate mixed colors that way, and it also makes it easier for me to store and transport paints that are in standard containers.
HuronBH

Post by HuronBH »

LOL. Not knowing how you paint does effect my recommendation however I think giving P3 a real try would be worth your time. P3 has a bit of a learning curve but once you figure out the basics a whole new world of techniques opens up to you, or at least they did for me. Now I am not saying you should stop using other brands too, even though it looks as though I am headed that way myself. Though I know it will be tough for you to admit, sometimes us "stupid men" know what we are talking about. :wink:

I'll tell you what, pick a time and I'll meet you out at Other Realms and we can compare notes. I'll show you how I use P3 and you can show me how you use RMS, deal?

-jay
Angel_of_Menoth

Jay,

She's not knocking the paints. She just prefers the RMS. To each, his/her own. Got those Skorne painted up yet?
HuronBH

Post by HuronBH »

Yeah I know, I'm not trying to be insulting or anything. Tanya I hope I my comments didn't offend you. I am just interested in seeing how you uses RMS and the other paints on your list and how it might differ from how I paint. I've never really had any formal tutelage when it comes to painting, just what I can figure out and what I can pick up from websites like this one online.

I'm sure you probably have some tricks and techniques I could learn from, and maybe I might know a few things that could help you with your painting to. I was just expressing interest in setting up a time to share what we know. Maybe there is some secret about how to use RMS paints that I just never figure out that will encourage me to give them another go. In my experience RMS after a few monthes tends to get rather lumpy and clog up the dropper bottles they are in, causing lots of headaches just to get a bit out of the bottle for uses. I have had some of the same problems with VMC and VGC so it could just be how I am using or storing them.

I'd also be interested in painting with you Jeremy, after checking out close ups of your Magnus in the WIP forum I am pretty impressed with what you have accomplished with him. I'd like to get your insights on P3 and other lines to as I am sure there are things I haven't figured out yet too.

EDIT: On the skorne, no, I haven't gotten around to them yet. I spent most of last week completing some commission work for one of my clients and was a bit burned out. I will be assembling them and doing some priming tonight so I can start work on them and the rest of the army tomorrow.

-jay
Angel_of_Menoth

That Magnus is going to be getting his cloak repainted in grey. Worked out the color scheme for my Mercs to work well for both Ashlynn and my Magnus' Agenda forces. I would love to have you come and paint with us sometime. You saw my Orkaeon in the case at Other Realms. He's floating around in the showcase forum here, too (close ups).
LadyEyes
the List-mistress

Post by LadyEyes »

Guys, please take the personal meeting planning out of this thread for other people's sake.
"I like gypsy moths and radio talk
Cause it doesn't remind me of anything"
Demi_morgana
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Demi_morgana »

flynn wrote:I don't recommend to anyone staying with a single paint line. Each line has its own merits, and each painter wants their paint to do different things.
can't disagree: I use gw, rms and vallejo but also have pactras and one or two humbrols in my paint-box :)

Hobby blog

Katoliku uważaj!