WarlikeRogue's WiP'S

Post your "Work In Progress" photos here.
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding works in progress here, please. If you have photos of these works when they're completed, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the work in progress.
WarlikeRogue

WarlikeRogue's WiP'S

Post by WarlikeRogue »

Hi gang,

Since I've just joined I think its time to show what I am currently working on. First things first, I'll come clean and admit I'm not at the same painting level as some of you guys here. I would classify myself as a fairly good tabletop miniature standard painter. Hopefully with your help I'll make that jump to painting display quality mini's. I'm not so much a gamer so painting mini's is my hobby, but in saying that I'm not adverse to painting up squads and regiments for armies I will probably never use.

In keeping with this theme for the last week I've built and based a whole Lizardman Battalion from GW. I have done next to no hobby related stuff for the last three months and it seems I've applied myself to this job with renewed hobby lust. :D

I've come up with a colour scheme that I really like, and most importantly its simple and easy to do. I find painting regiments requires a painting skill all of its own that does not "cross" over to display quality mini's. I enjoy painting regiments in a different way than painting character models. Anyway enough waffle, onto WiP photos.

ImageClick to see full-sized image
WiP Saurus Command

WiP Champion

WiP Musician

WiP Standard Bearer

Over a black undercoat the skin was give a Macharius Solar Orange basecoat, while the scales were basecoated with Fenris Grey. Then everything was given a wash with Baal Red and thats it. Highlights and details are still to be done but with this quick and easy colour scheme I hope I can churn out a fairly impressive looking squad fairly quickly. I have hit a stumbling block though and I need your guys help. I cannot for the life of me think of a suitable colour for the shields. I've tried painting them the same as the scales on the models, but then they just blend into the overall model, while I want them to stand out a bit. I am currently thinking of a bone type colour, as I feel the models are already fairly dark and it would make a good contrast.

So thats it! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the inital WiP's and any idea's about shield colours.
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Re: WarlikeRogue's WiP'S

Post by Maru »

sup
not much to tell about minis at this stage (beside dark photos)

but :
So thats it! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the inital WiP's and any idea's about shield colours.
you heard about well of collor ??

well thats solution to your's problems :) (not all but some of it :P)
so how to use this thingi ??
- i could describe it .. but it would be long end hard to get :)
so i got a tutorial about collors
http://www.worqx.com/color/shade_tint.htm

this should help end explain some collor issues :)
(grape color or turquse asa parts on the shild )
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
WarlikeRogue

Post by WarlikeRogue »

Thanks Maru, that is exactly what I was looking for! Hopefully try to get brighter/better pictures for next time.
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

I do find a bone colour works well with most other colours in general as it's a very passive thing to use. I think it would suit this model well :) you could always use a photo editing program and compare and contrast before you jump into it. But Maru's colour theory wheel is very helpful. As for a shield you could always go for a gold colour as it fits very well with the aztec-ian feel to things and it compliments the orange well.

For the skin i would feel adding some extra darker washes might help bring up the contrast but because you are using washes you will want to rehighlight parts of the skin on the model, but for tabletop use it's nice and bright which imo is great :D
WarlikeRogue

Post by WarlikeRogue »

A quick update. I've gotten the front rank of the Saurus Warriors done. Still working on getting good photo's and as you can see they still need a lot of work.

I decided to go with a tuorquise blue for the shield and banners, I think it complements the orange quite well. The orange skin has been given a single highlight of of 2:1 Macharius Solar Orange : Dwarf Flesh. I haven't just being this little of bit of painting for the last week. I also built another WFB army, which I may never paint. But I do have good intentions.

Here's my table of grey plastic, the Lizardmen battalion in the front, a Vampire Count army at the back. The vampire count army includes a sixty zombie strong unit, twenty ghouls, forty skellies, twenty Grave Guard, a Corpse Cart, three Necromancers and two Vampire Counts. Here are two photos, one of my Necromancers and one of one of my Vampires.

So these are the mini's i'll be working on for the next couple of months.
Cyberpaddy66

Post by Cyberpaddy66 »

Looking forward to seeing what you do with that lot, I wouldn't know where to start :lol:
Getting back into the thick (or rather thin as in thinning my paints) of it, not picked up a brush in some time so this may hurt a bit until I get used to the feel of them again :doh:
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Post by Nameless »

we definitely need your army in the Tale of Gamers... ;)
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

:shock: soooooooo many :D

good luck
arctica
Too fast for the rest of us

Post by arctica »

lol i thought i was ambitious with my painting projects :) nice armies
WarlikeRogue

Post by WarlikeRogue »

Hi gang,

another update! I've polished off that regiment over the last three days. :dance: So thats eight lizardmen in three days, at this rate it'll only take me a year to finish off all the grey plastic sitting alongside me.

So, there they are, my first ever fully painted regiment of WFB troops. I'm quite pleased with them as I think they are fairly good tabletop quality, which was what I was aiming for.