Getting a strong yellow

Everything from sanding and priming to varnishing!
gmurie

Getting a strong yellow

Post by gmurie »

I'm in the midst of painting an Iron Warriors army (Tale of Gamers) and I'd like to know how to get a good strong yellow for the chevrons. I've painted some on a Rhino by painting white and black stripes, and then painting Privateer Press' Cygnus Yellow in two or three coats over that. What I've got is yellow, but it's not a strong yellow like I want. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this a stronger and more intense yellow?

Here is a link to a picture of the rhino:http://www.chestofcolors.com/forum/view ... 47#p110028

Do I have to use artist's colors cadmium yellow oil paints to get the effect I want?
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Re: Getting a strong yellow

Post by mahon »

take yellow ink, paint it on base coat of orange, orange-white or white.
inks are very saturated. several layers will give you excellent color. the underpainting of bright basecoat will show through the translucent layers of ink and make the yellow look very vibrant.

try it :)
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
sea.man
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by sea.man »

From my little experience - I didn`t get yellow when I was painting with pure yellow paint. A base coat of bownish paint and then yellow GW paints gave me the result I wanted. I haven`t tried mahon`s recipe with orange - it should also work (remember he expects too much ;-) )
miniatures painted:
2011 - 83, 2012 - 38, 2013 - 45, 2014 - 56, 2015 - 95, 2016 - 106, 2017 - 22
mahon
Super Villain
Super Villain

Post by mahon »

that is more or less what GW recommended for getting the strong and vibrant yellows on their eldar: prime white, shade with orange or light brown, cover with yellow ink.
doesn't have to be GW ink. W&N inks are excellent. Vallejo released nice inks, too...
-- Mahoń

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Pandadosmares
Chest of Colors
Chest of Colors

Post by Pandadosmares »

mahon wrote:that is more or less what GW recommended for getting the strong and vibrant yellows on their eldar: prime white, shade with orange or light brown, cover with yellow ink.
doesn't have to be GW ink. W&N inks are excellent. Vallejo released nice inks, too...
I second that, but you may trie my recipie, using GW Foundation Iyanden Darksun -> GW Golden Yellow then if you find that its not yellow enough just give a yellow ink or keep doing golde yellow but make it diluted