junex' acrylic spatterings

Show us your *finished* works here...
Forum rules
Post pictures and discussions regarding finished models here, please. If you have WIP (work in progress) photos, feel free to post them to the right section and feel free to add the link in your post about the finished work.
junex

junex' acrylic spatterings

Post by junex »

Hi all!

Just like to share the latest mini I finished:

Looks slightly better in my display cabinet. :)

Cheers.
Nameless
The Better Choice
The Better Choice

Re: junex' acrylic spatterings

Post by Nameless »

welcome to the forum :)
junex wrote:Looks slightly better in my display cabinet. :)
I'm sure it also looks bigger ;) any change for a bigger pic of that mini?
Nameless Painter Blog
==================================================
junex

Post by junex »

Nameless wrote:welcome to the forum :)
Thanks! :D
Nameless wrote:I'm sure it also looks bigger ;) any change for a bigger pic of that mini?
Actually looks slightly smaller in my cabinet, maybe that's why it looks slightly better...hahaha

Anyway as requested:
ImageClick to see full-sized image
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

for metaliks i wopuld prouse this :
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8344
end as usual more contrast :)
"GOOD RACK CAN MAKE A DONKEY ATTACK LION"
http://maru.worldblogcafe.com/
junex

Post by junex »

@spykeside
Thanks! :)

@Maru
Thank you for the comments and the link. I really liked p1per's latest work specially the metallics. Great to have his method and recipes. I have started using colored shadows and highlights I never thought of using them on metallics. Plus the glazing with the metallics as the first step in highlighting is also a revelation.

As for the Mage Hunter Assassin, I was trying for a more subtle contrast on the weapons but it may have been too subtle...hehehe. Plus taking photos of my minis is one of the things I am struggling with. I tried out a new photo set-up and the pictures turned out a little washed-out. :(

Here are a couple of my minis where the metallics are slightly better:
The gold still needs more contrast...or a better angle. :P

Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

you got ther quite good camera
but a bit blury .. what lences you got ther ? (if i knew i mey be able to help tiune them up )
ok back to the minis
on barbarian mini i caind of like sworld but not "gold" part as it actualy looks like plastic part not iben other metal part - metals got much highrt contrast iven duled ones wil shine in this special way
beside - skin - nuances in mid tones - add them :)

sorceres .. - suno about metals dont c eny actualy better but gem looks realy good
is ther a chance fora biger or better photo of this 1 ??
As for the Mage Hunter Assassin, I was trying for a more subtle contrast on the weapons but it may have been too subtle...hehehe.
ther is nothing assubtele contrast in this scale - i biger possible or in monohrone works but when you mix oposite colors (actualy caled complementary) as red end green you alrdy made hardest posible contrast so rest must be as contrasting or it will look dull end unintresting
i think we get somwer hear a color whell tutorial .. i think
junex

Post by junex »

Maru wrote:you got ther quite good camera
but a bit blury .. what lences you got ther ? (if i knew i mey be able to help tiune them up )
I have the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
Maru wrote:on barbarian mini i caind of like sworld but not "gold" part as it actualy looks like plastic part not iben other metal part - metals got much highrt contrast iven duled ones wil shine in this special way
beside - skin - nuances in mid tones - add them :)
I've had similar comments on the gold and I believe I made adjustments (though I still think it needs a bit more work) but I didn't take pictures of the final result.
I am just recently starting to understand nuances but I am still a bit confused on the subject. I have been trying to do it on my current projects with mixed results. If you can point me to an article/tutorial on the use of nuances I would be very grateful.

Maru wrote:sorceres .. - suno about metals dont c eny actualy better but gem looks realy good
is ther a chance fora biger or better photo of this 1 ??
Looking at the mini again, it seems that it was actually my first attempt at NMM.
Maru wrote:ther is nothing assubtele contrast in this scale - i biger possible or in monohrone works but when you mix oposite colors (actualy caled complementary) as red end green you alrdy made hardest posible contrast so rest must be as contrasting or it will look dull end unintresting
i think we get somwer hear a color whell tutorial .. i think
I think I understand what you mean with the contrast. Will look for the color theory tutorial.
So in general, would you say that what the TMM/NMM are missing are nuances in the shadows and more highlight specially edge/specular highlight?

I really appreciate your inputs. Thanks!
Maru
Camera Expert
Camera Expert

Post by Maru »

about skin :
http://www.figurines-tv.com/kws/modules ... mv&ext=wmv
a video tutorial in french - but it is Video ! so you mey wach (starts boooring but then became intresting )
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1 ... ing-colour
actualy all you whant to knew :) about colors mid tones end whats warm end what cold
http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1 ... g-the-base
end another 1 :)

about lences - this 1 i dont know - need to check - will let you know

about NMM on sorceres - to little contrast - it is not looking like shining blade rather like plastic sworld
(bot skin is nice - i think beter then on barbarian )

well about TMM/NMM - they need contrast not exacly niuances (you mey create a good impresion of steal sworld by just white end black - but niuances helps )

a real metal blade photo made not in shadowless box but in "real light" - theeffect you are up to :)
c how stronh is the blick of light ?
junex

Post by junex »

Thank you for the links. Will study them.

Will wait for your input about the lens. I've always received comments about how my minis look better in person than in photos.

At least it's good to hear I'm getting better with the skins. The barbarian was done several months before the sorceress.

I believe I've always avoided making too much of a contrast to avoid making them look like highly reflective metal/chrome (which I'm not very fond of) but I think understand now what you mean about the contrast. Will rework the minis to try and make them look better.

Again thanks for the inputs!